Monday, November 29, 2010

Open letter to FVAs during finals from an FVA grad (Class of '10)

Dear FVAs:

Congratulations! You've made it this far. No matter who you are--and even if I don't know you--I'm proud of you. I was in your place last year, and this time was really difficult for me, so I sympathize with you if your stress-level is sky-high right now. But it won't last forever. Trust me. It won't.

You know what you need to study/prepare, so I won't go into that in detail. However I will say that if you've been keeping up with the readings for 2D Design, good for you--and you've done better than I did last year (in the first semester I did the first week's reading--and then didn't read any more in Launching the Imagination until a week before the exam. Not a good idea.).

But also remember to relax. I'm sure your parents have told you this (mine sure did last year), but you do need to stop and just relax sometimes. It'll help you in the long run. And we've got an awesome support system here: academic advisors (GO ADAM MACDONALD!!!!!!!!), a counsellor, your teachers--and I urge you to make use of of said support system. I didn't until the second semester, which was when I found out that Adam is an awesome academic advisor. And I'd better stop there, otherwise I'll still be yammering about him tomorrow afternoon. **sigh**

Also: if you're considering dropping out after this semester's over, I strongly urge you to reconsider: while the first semester is difficult, the second one ROCKS!!!!!! In the second semester I felt as though I actually had time to just breathe and my life wasn't just about homework anymore. Plus, you guys get Creative Process in the second semester (I had it in the first and I'm really glad they changed it around). It will change your life--it did mine (though my marks were really low).

So I wish you guys (all eighty-five of you) the very best, especially if this is your first college/university experience. And I'll say it again: the second semester rocks.

Love,
Annapurna Moffatt
FVA Class of 2010, Photography Diploma Class of 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment