Sunday, October 3, 2010

ah, the life of a photog...

First of all, SIX DAYS TO THE SIMULCAST!!

Last Monday was the Met's opening night. They played Das Rheingold and it was streamed online. I listened for a couple of hours (the first hour was pre-show red-carpet stuff). During the prelude the horn part was so overwhelmingly beautiful that I had to sit down. Here's the NY Times' review.

The photo that I took of Adam has officially taken on a life of its' own: on Monday afternoon I developed a print for him which I planned to leave in his mailbox in the library (which was closed by the time I finished developing the photo), but then one of the third-year photogs told me that he would be teaching a drawing class in about ten minutes, so I rushed around, putting the finishing touches on the photo (squeegeeing it, putting it through the dryer, chopping off excess paper, and signing it) and then I dashed up to the third-floor drawing room, charged in, and gave it to him. He was thrilled and gave me a huge hug. I heard later that he'd shown it off to some of the students.

The next day he told me that he'd scanned it and it was now on his computer. Later that week when I got a notice on Facebook that he'd "liked" a comment I'd posted on the event page of the NBCCD Gallery's next show (called Journey into WHATEVER, which is "a selection of local and transnational drawings." Adam and a couple of other NBCCD teachers are in it. The opening is on Thursday and I'm unbelievably excited.), I discovered that he'd made it his profile pic. Here's a screenshot that I took the next day:


One of the things we're doing in Creativity in Photography is writing journals. Peter gives us a topic and we write whatever comes to mind. We're to write two hundred to three hundred words and spell-checking, cleaning up grammar and other "perfecting" are off-limits. Here's the one that I wrote this week (to be handed in on Wednesday morning). The topic was our greatest hopes for the year.

I’m finding that this year is a lot easier than last year so I actually have goals beyond just getting through the year and serviving (which is how FVA year ended up playing out: I had goals and high hopes at the beginning, but then they evaporated and I did pretty much nothing else besides homework, homework, homework, and homework.

This year I wanted to really get out and explore the galleries (Beaverbrook, Gallery 78, Ingrid Muller Art + Concepts being my favourites) outside the NBCCD gallery (which can also knock my socks off and which I love to pieces—note to Karen) and within the first few weeks I succeeded.

I also wanted to have a better balance between school and fun since FVA was almost all work and very little fun outside of school. I’ve succeeded, though the line has become increasingly blurred since I”m in my dream studio and have had more fun there than I thought possible. There was a reason why I constantly had to avert my eyes when I went to my history tutorial down the hall… (On a scale of one to ten, the school year so far ranks at a twelve or higher).

And I want to see the NBCCD Photogs beat the Computer Guys (the graphics studio) at the hocky game. Last year’s poster said that the graphics studio was the current champ and they won last year as well. GO PHOTOGS!! We can beat the graphics studio—I know we can.

I just read the latest NBCCD newsletter and it reminded me that I want to experience Art Trek this year. It’s another of those things that I didn’t get around to doing last year (I have to admit that part of what this year’s about for me is making up for what I missed out on last year). When I jotted it down in my calander I also made a note to visit 22 Grey st., and there are now three others circled in the brochure.

"The [hockey] game" refers to the game of ball hockey played between the graphics and photography studios. Right from the beginning of FVA year I knew that I wanted to major in photography, so I was cheering for that studio. I was rather disappointed when they lost. This year I'm thinking about making a sign (I'll buy a sheet of Plainfield from the school store and decorate it with a slogan cheering my studio on and maybe some drawings of different cameras). To me, being a photography major is more than just taking classes and doing homework: it's a way of life.

I'm finding that this year I have a lot more freedom: freedom to do things outside of school (I'm on the Maggie Jean Chestnut residence haunted house committee this year) and freedom to get my hands messy creatively. Last year I felt the need to conform creatively, which isn't my thing: if I want to conform to what's considered "normal" and "safe," I will, but creatively I like to do my own thing, get my hands messy, and see what happens. This year we're encouraged to try things out. The overall attitude is, "here's the assignment, I want you to do this, this, this, and this--now go have fun with it." Right from the start this year was easier.

This afternoon when I was walking home from school, I saw a drumming group at the side of the York-Sunbury Museum in Officers' Square, so I went down into the square and listened. Next thing I knew, one of the guys asked if I'd like to join in. I said sure, and had my first-ever drum lesson on the djembe. Let's just say that for a beginner, drumming hurts. I had to learn to hit the drum fairly hard.

While writing this I got an email from Mom: both the pieces that we submitted to Sunbury Shores' "Guess Who?" show sold. YIPPEEEE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment