Saturday, February 5, 2011

we now return to Annapurna's regularly scheduled life

I submitted the scholarship application on Tuesday (the deadline). If I apply for a scholarship/grant like that again, I'll start the process two months in advance MINIMUM. One month just wasn't enough for me: yes I submitted the scholarship on time, but it was way too stressful for my liking.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the week before last Peter had an info session on life after NBCCD. He had several former students skype with the class, as well as a couple of current NBCCD students who gave their presentations in the classroom. As a result, even though I've still got over a year until I graduate with my diploma, I'm considering either applying for the college's Advanced Diploma (one year--I've been bouncing back and forth between wanting and not wanting to apply) or applying to Mt. Allison University's BFA program and transferring NBCCD credits (so I'd only have to do a couple of years there at the most) after I graduate from the diploma program. If I applied to Mt. A., though, I'd be doing all film photography. That approach could be seen as a bit outdated (NBCCD is moving steadily towards digital), but I don't mind because I'm so passionate about film, anyway.

Other than the scholarship application, this week was fairly uneventful: I wrote a note to Drew and Peter, thanking them for the help and support during the application process. When I get really stressed like that, I have a tendency to doubt whether I can do whatever it is that I'm trying to do. So I really needed the encouragement.

Now all I have to do is wait three months to find out whether I've got the scholarship. :-P

Bridgestone announced the winners of the annual contest this week (I didn't win) and this coming week there'll be an awards celebration at the Crowne Plaza hotel.

My team didn't win the camera--it went to Erin, Alyssa, and Robyn. But it's well-deserved: their photo is amazing.

On Thursday I found out that a local business in Fredericton was using one of my photos on Facebook without permission. I immediately sent them a note with a link to the photo on Flickr. I told Mom about it, and since she didn't know about Creative Commons licensing (which protects my work on Flickr), I ended up getting a crash course in copyright law, CC-style.

However, everything worked out yesterday: the business apologized for using the image (they hadn't realized that it wasn't theirs, and have no idea how it ended up in their collection since their photos are taken by employees or photographers that they pay) and was very pleasant to deal with. But as a result of this, one of the things I want to do this weekend is create a watermark to use online as well as a "signature" on my prints. I also added a copyright blurb to my blog, as you might've noticed.

As of yesterday I'm home for the weekend. I'd planned to go home last weekend, but decided to stay in F'ton to get the scholarship and homework done. This weekend I have very little homework--which is a very nice way to be welcomed back to a normal, post-scholarship-application life.

No comments:

Post a Comment