Saturday, July 30, 2011

celebrating ten years of owning my full-size violin

A photo that I took of my violin in '08.
Sunday, July 31st, 2011 marks ten years since Tom bought me my full-size violin. To mark the occasion, I thought I'd post some videos of my favourite music featuring either a. a gorgeous violin solo (e.g., a concerto), or b. a strong violin part (Grieg, anyone?). Enjoy.

First up, a video that I shot at a Passamaquoddy Bay Symphony Orchestra concert in June. The soloist is their conductor (and Bangor Symphony concertmaster, and one of my favourite violinists) Trond Saeverud. Bravo!



Another classic: Mendelssohn's violin concerto in E minor, op. 61 (played by another favourite violinist):



Part two:



In the Hall of the Mountain King, which has one of the most thrilling violin parts ever!



Roman Carnival Overture. I have to admit that I compare every version that I hear to the BSO's October 22nd, '04 performance (it was broadcast on the radio about a month later, and I had Tom tape it for me. The tape has since been made into an mp3 and burned to CD.), which should've come with a warning: "When the violins start, HOLD ONTO YOUR SEAT!" **swoons**



And how can I forget Beethoven's Romance in F, No. 2? André Rieu, back when he was awesome (meaning, 2006 and earlier):



The Nutcracker has been my favourite ballet since I can remember, and I've listened to it so much that every note feels like an old friend.



One of the most awesome pieces from the LOTR soundtrack (and one of the most awesome scenes), The Lighting of the Beacons from The Return of the King:



Salut d'Amore. Gorgeous.



The Lark Ascending, which Lynn introduced me to (and knocked my socks off with) ten years ago as of September tenth this year when she played it on my full-size violin. thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! BTW, in the Beethoven violin concerto, Lynn is stand-partners with concertmaster Rosa Bragdon.



And because Beethoven's awesome, let's end with yet another piece by him (bookend, anyone?). This time, my pick is a chamber piece: The third movement from his ninth violin sonata, which is another piece Lynn introduced me to (she and her daughter Daphne--who plays piano--played it at a family concert. Daphne's sister Molly and their dad/Lynn's husband, Gene, also performed. That night, Gene became one of my favourite composers, but that's another story.).

No comments:

Post a Comment