Monday, January 21, 2013

free time? what's that?

I think I better get used to these crazy-busy weekends. It's a good thing I love my major.

I forgot to mention who won the hockey game: Graphics, as per usual. For once I'd like to see Photo win.

Monday: We talked about composite images and where the word "montage" comes from (turns out, it's strictly related to photography).

Tuesday: I got a bunch of homework done that afternoon, and then went to a general assembly at NSCAD, where we approved SUNSCAD's manifesto that will be presented to the Board of Governors (in a nutshell, the school must maintain it's position as one of the best art schools in the country, and the quality of a NSCAD education must not be compromised). We also discussed taking direct action, such as occupying the Granville Campus (classes would continue, but administration wouldn't be allowed in) or withholding our tuition, which would only work for those of us who don't have student loans, because the money for tuition is automatically taken out of the loan when it's processed and sent to the institution, and then the remainder is sent to your bank account.

Wednesday: I spent the afternoon getting most of the scavenger hunt done for Writing for the Arts, and by the end all I wanted to do was collapse.

We got an intro to Adobe InDesign that night--and then Jeff let us go early due to the storm (and just when I was getting used to the lack of white stuff on the ground **pout**)

Thursday: We discussed our projects. The theme is "private/public", and I'm doing mine on surveillance (both the visible kind--surveillance cameras--and the invisible kind--e.g., internet tracking). I'm doing composite images and using the "subtract" blend mode, which I've never used beyond clicking through the list of modes.

Friday: As usual, we discussed the week's readings and then five of the students presented things related to the readings. I'm in the group that presents next week. And on top of everything else, we have to write a thousand-word focus essay by next Friday--which is both a lot and not a lot at the same time.

We presented our findings for the scavenger hunt. I missed three items and had to go find them in the NSCAD library over the weekend.

Saturday and Sunday: I spent the weekend doing homework and almost nothing else, including finishing the scavenger hunt and working on my Graphics project (I don't have InDesign, but the Photo Dept. does)--partly because I felt like I was swamped with work and partly because I wanted to get as much as possible out of the way so that I can go see Les Misérables on Tuesday (I may review it).

No comments:

Post a Comment