Monday, May 4, 2009

musica, musique, música--music!

Yes, I'm still here.

My mom and I are going to a concert at the middle school (Passamaquaddy Bay Symphony Orchestra and Machias Community Chorale) this Sunday--my present to her. The program according to the Saint Croix Courier:

  • Requiem (Fauré)
  • Suite No. 2 for Small Orchestra (Stravinsky)
  • first movement from "Eroica" symphony (no. 3) (Beethoven--one of my favourite composers)
I just found out today that one of my favourite chamber groups, the Biss-Brubaker Duo, is, from what I gathered, pretty much disbanded (my friend Lynn Brubaker is the "Brubaker" in the BBD--she plays violin). Although I'm feeling okay now, earlier today I didn't feel like smiling--not one bit. When I danced to the Polonaise from Eugene Onegin this afternoon I didn't crack even the tiniest of smiles--and usually I'm grinning ear-to-ear, especially when I hear the French horns (Lynn's brother plays horn in the Met Opera Orchestra). What's wrong with this picture???

This past weekend was my first since November without the Met's radio broadcasts. The withdrawal wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. But that might've had something to do with the fact that Met Player, their "new online subscription service" was free for the weekend (usually you have to pay for it and at this point in time the price is too much for me). I thoroughly enjoyed listening to and watching old performances: Lucia di Lammermoor with Maria Callas singing the title role (her only radio appearance and the only recording of her in the archive), dated December 8, 1956; Cavilleria Rusticana and Pagliacci starring José Carreras, dated April 5, 1978; a little bit of La Bohème starring Pavarotti and Ranata Scotto (the Met's first TV broadcast), dated March 15, 1977..............

I've still got Lucia going around in my head--METROPOLITAN OPERAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Six days to the concert!! (And I already know what I'm going to wear.)

No comments:

Post a Comment