Friday, November 6, 2009

whew!

This week passed in such a blur that my memories of it are a bit hazy. It was one of those that started out badly but then got better as it went along.

Last weekend was Halloween and MJC had their annual haunted house, which was a lot of fun. Since I live there I got to see the behind-the-scenes stuff. Thankfully, it didn't spoil any of the fun. This was my first haunted house.

It wasn't all that scary. Okay, when the lights went out in a couple of the rooms I screamed, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know I'll be back next year.

They did extremely well: there were a lot of cans donated to the food bank (including two from me). Also: when I joined the line in front of the door of RC, it was lined up to the sidewalk. By the time I got into the building the line stretched to the corner of the block. I heard later that some people waited for two hours to get in.

The next night was the Pumpkin Sacrifice, which a bunch of us went to. I'd planned on going to the Coffee Shop Affair concert afterwards but by that time it was just too late.

As a result of all this excitement I hardly did any schoolwork all weekend, which meant that by Tuesday I was close to panicking. On Monday afternoon I did go to school and work on an essay (or try to) for three hours, until my eyes felt like "at" symbols.

Prior to midterms I had a meeting with Adam and he told me that I'm a worrier. Ever since then I've been having moments where I've said to myself, "ya know what? He's right!" This week was one of those, as I kept going over all I had to do in my head, trying to figure out some way to get it all done.

Wednesday night and Thursday morning were the worst of the bunch. I had two assignments to do--one from last week (which just had to be matted--I stayed late and did that on Wednesday evening), one due Thursday afternoon (for which I had yet to buy materials).

I went to school mid-morning on Thursday and spent it chasing supplies: the school store didn't have what I needed, nor did Endeavours, but they suggested substitutes for some of the materials.

By the time I finally settled down to work on the project, it was about eleven. I ended up working until about twelve-thirty and then grabbed a sandwich and muffin at Read's.

John said that the project from last week was my best so far--I just glowed (by the way, I also finally got a decent grade in Creative Process--YAAAAAYY!!!!).

This morning I had fashion design and we started one of our projects (a drawstring bag). There are so many gizmos! Some of which I can't remember the name. Let's just say that I'll never look at clothes in quite the same way again (same goes for pottery).

Tomorrow is the Met's simulcast of Turandot and I'm unbelievably excited--I'm almost twelve hours away from fulfilling my promise to Lynn (back in April she made me promise to go to a simulcast) and a goal of my own (those two happen to be the same thing).

So since I want to get a good night's sleep before the big day, I'll say buona notte (good night), and leave you with one of the most famous arias ever written: Nessun dorma from (what else?) Turandot, performed by Pavarotti. I'm so packing the kleenexes tomorrow! The Met has made me cry before, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they do it again tomorrow. BRING IT ON!



No comments:

Post a Comment